Algae in Water

Posted on Posted in About Water
A simple set up to display fresh water algae (courtesy of WikiCommons)

Algae spores are all around us and are just waiting for the right conditions to photosynthesise and bloom into life. Light, heat and stillness allows algae to grow and water bottles create the perfect environment for this to happen. 

Here at Heart Spring, we go to great lengths to bring our delicious water to you within days of it being under the earth, all the while keeping it dark and cool. Our water is alive, and we understand that we need to take extra care to get it to our clients as close as possible to the way it flowed from the spring. 

Most people have heard of algae superfoods such as Spirulina, which is sourced from New Zealand freshwater lakes, however you do not want algae in your water as it could deteriorate into unfriendly forms in time, usually once it turns brown. 

Did you know that real water is a fresh food? That is, if it is not treated with chlorine or undergoes other processes that remove most of the good stuff that our bodies need, and which makes living water so much better for you. 

If you apply the same hygiene standards to water as any living food or drink you can keep yourself and your family safe. Consuming spring water allows us to enjoy water as nature intended, with all the healthy life-giving properties it contains. 

Chlorine is one of the best algaecides, but it is also harmful to the microbiome of both water and our bodies. In 1861, Louis Pasteur got us afraid of germs and has infected our thinking ever since even though it is now scientifically acknowledged that we are mainly “germs” (micro-organisms). 

Some microscopic creatures—including bacteria, fungi, and viruses—have the capacity to make you ill. What you may not realise is that trillions of microbes are living in, and on, your body right now, looking after you. In fact, they help you digest food and protect you against infection, for example. 

It is a sign of life that Heart Spring water, given the right conditions may grow algae in your dispenser, inside your tap or bottles. Regularly check and keep them clean to avoid any harm from further evolutions! 

The only healthy way to get rid of algae is to use a natural non residual algaecide commonly found in the home like vinegar, bicarb or even hydrogen peroxide. If you just use detergent, algae will grow back. If it grows in your tap for example, it will spread in time to your dispenser and bottle. 

Many of us carry drinking bottles (we need our Heart Spring fix!) with us wherever we go, however we do need to be thoughtful as to the kind of bottle we use to minimise the chance of algae blooming. A glass bottle with a cushioning cover is best because you can easily check if it is clean. Stainless steel is also good as it is non-porous but can heat up more easily. 

This month, we are getting back about 10% of our bottles with algae in them, which require additional cleaning processes. As we move into the hotter months, the chances of algae blooming in bottles left in the sun or even exposed to light and heat increases, especially when small amounts of water are left in them. 

Please support our community by keeping bottles in a cool, dark place (whether full or empty), drain small amounts of water left in the bottles and only order what you intend using within a delivery cycle, as much as possible. Remember to rotate your bottles and use the oldest dated bottles first. Check the Best Before date on the lid and use them in order. 

It can be a lot to absorb and not always straightforward, so if you have any questions or comments, we would love to hear from you. 

The opinions expressed herein are not original and easy to validate elsewhere. We hope to stimulate the joy of self-learning and discover new trusted sources! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *